Tuesday 11 September 2012

10th September: No wonder it’s a different universe

Sunday was the first day I’d made no previous plans and even as I woke up it loomed before me, threatening boredom and loneliness.

The previous night had been nice enough; the usual group had met up and gone for a few drinks and shisha in a quiet bar off Kirova, the main street. There hadn’t been many people in but there were enough of us that it didn’t really matter. The waitress was friendly but the communication problems were even more obvious than usual – so much so, that when Sean asked to see a Russian menu, she refused point blank; our Russian was apparently just too bad. It would be easier (she claimed) if we just read the English menu and she wrote it down in Russian. It’s a good job we’ve all got a sense of humour because at that stage I think anyone with a bit of pride or even an instinct for self-preservation would be justified in throwing in the towel there and then.

The problem with the Russians, we’ve noticed, is that they quite often just can’t be bothered to try and understand you or make you understand them. If they say something and you don’t understand, they will usually just repeat the same phrase, at an equally insane pace, and wait impatiently for you to respond. If they don’t understand you, you have approximately three seconds to make yourself understood before they lose interest and either get angry or cast you off as a useless case. I’m sure not all Russians are like this. I am just speaking about the majority you are likely to meet.

The babushkas are, of course, an exception. Mine is still taking care of me like any granny would, and I’m starting to feel like we’re a little team already, despite the fact that she cancelled our city tour today as she felt it was too cold. I can see why she would say so; it is absolutely freezing – but then again, surely she’s used to it by now? I’m beginning to think that she just doesn’t like leaving the house. So far I’ve known her to go outside only three times; once to pick me up when I arrived, once to go food shopping and once to visit her nephew. I think she might actually be some kind of super-human, as I’ve never known her to take a shower, do her laundry or even seen her eat or drink. I mentioned this to my friends and they all said their babushkas are the same; how do they do it? This is just bizarre.

So, with Sunday now devoid of all plans I was forced to catch up on work, then face the horror that is the Exeter Personal Development Plan, a Year Abroad project spanning the four months I’m out here and covering all aspects of what is called ‘personal development’, which includes language acquisition, cultural awareness, employability and sustainability. After several hours of this, I decided to brave the cold and venture out onto the Volga to prevent myself from going stir crazy from being motionless inside the same four walls. I walked for over an hour and a half and managed to see a lot of the surrounding area, including several thousand churches, a small park and the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosl.

That night I was glad to get out again when Alexia suggested it. Before long we also met up with some Russians she’d got to know, Akob and Yana, who were with Ed. Finally we had the opportunity to properly practice our Russian outside class – and it was obvious how much more practice we needed. The conversation flowed fine – we all had plenty we wanted to find out about each other – but there were words we didn’t know and things that were difficult to explain. That said, the best way to learn is through conversation and through learning where you’re making mistakes.

On Monday classes were as normal, and that afternoon we set about finding a gym. It was more difficult than you might expect. There are a few gyms in the city, but they’re all widely spread apart and range hugely in price and quality. We went into one place that was charging 7000 roubles, £140, per month! With the average wage here being so low, how do people afford that?

After a fruitless search I returned home and told Lyudmila about my day. She helped me research gyms in Yaroslavl and told me the nearest places, showing me them on the map. The problem is that although our flat is handy for the university, that means it’s right on the edge of town and far away from any of the sports centres.

My babooshka was making jam that evening and was glad to talk about it when I showed an interest. Turns out, Russians are exactly like the stereotype they present in all the textbooks. They make jam, collect mushrooms, go fishing and even go to their dachas over the summer. Lyudmila told me that most people like to grow their own produce if they can, and showed me her huge stash of fruit and vegetables, all grown by her friend Natasha. Apparently they do this for the same reason some Brits do – because it’s much healthier and better-tasting than the chemically-modified supermarket produce. However, she also says that this lifestyle is outdated and something she and her generation have probably inherited from the Soviet era. She told me how everyone had had to look out for themselves and fight for survival, and how she herself had lost two brothers in the Great Famine. Such poverty is difficult to imagine and you realise that the present-day Russia has had to rise up out of the dust of this dead regime. No wonder it’s a different universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment