Wednesday 12 September 2012

12th September: Here and now

On Monday evening we had planned to meet up as a big group, but it soon became obvious that such a big crowd of English students wasn’t going to get into any of the small bars in Yaroslavl. We ended up splitting into our usual groups, which meant we got to try the much talked-about Your Бар. On entry we had to show our IDs for the first time since being here, and were patted down by the security guard, who inspected my bag suspiciously. Once we were in, the prices were good and we were quite impressed until a brusque waitress approached us and told us we weren’t allowed to sit at a table unless we ordered food, despite the fact that there were several tables in sight where no one was eating. We hoped that she would just forget, but when we came to ask for the bill, she told us angrily that we had to order something to eat first. I explained we had looked at the menu but hadn’t found anything we wanted, and eventually she reluctantly gave us the bill. On Ben’s advice we gave a generous tip so we wouldn’t be barred from going there for the next four months.

After lunch on Tuesday afternoon we went on another futile search for a decent gym, finding that one of them no longer existed and the other charged 7000 roubles a month. On my way home I went down a couple of deceptively long side streets, and by the time I had given up it was past five o’clock and, tired from walking all afternoon, I didn’t think it a good idea to put any more pressure on my knees by going for a run. I planned to catch up on my work and have a relaxing night in.

As ever, my plans were changed when I started getting texts asking me to come out. Two groups were going; one was going to Mojito in a big group; another couple of people going to meet the Russians Yana and Arkob. I decided to take the opportunity to meet with the Russians again, and I’m glad I did. We stayed out till around midnight, when they walked us home again, speaking only in Russian the whole evening. If it’s possible I think my Russian might have improved – if only very slightly – in the week I’ve been here, as I could feel myself gaining confidence and becoming more fluent. Yana and Arkob, who are our age and living in a student house in Yaroslavl, seem down to earth and generous people who are keen to help us out even after the short time we’ve known them.

Today the weather was so nice I was able to brave the outdoors in my shorts and vest-top and go for a run along the Volga. The warmth from the late-afternoon sun was gorgeous and it felt amazing and somehow surreal to be out running in such a place, the sunshine shimmering on the surface of the Volga. It was liberating to be able to go wherever I liked, lost in my thoughts and my surroundings. I only hope there will be more days like this before the snow begins to fall. I have a feeling that things will become very different when the world is covered in snow. That will be when the real challenge begins, but for now I’ll just try and enjoy the here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment