Thursday 18 October 2012

18th October: Well looked-after


Last night, we experienced efficient restaurant service in Russia for the first time. We’d done a pre-order to make things easier, but we never expected everything to go that smoothly. When we arrived, the salads Nell had ordered for the table were already laid out, and within twenty minutes everyone’s food had arrived – at the same time and everything. We were impressed.

The food was good, especially for the price (my fettuccine cost only 130r (£2.60)) and the drinks were reasonable too (70r (£1.40) for a small glass of white wine). We’d got so settled there it was looking like we’d never leave, especially when Alexei’s dad turned up at 10 o’clock and started ordering drinks for everyone, which we were more than happy to accept. He ordered in Russian like a pro, and within minutes a bottle and a small carafe of vodka had arrived along with shot glasses and tumblers. When the cranberry juice arrived in a carton, he sent it straight back, outraged, requesting a decanter. Two and a half shots and a pizza later, the restaurant was closing, so Alexei’s dad said his goodbyes and the rest of us moved on to another bar. By 1am I decided that since I was travelling to Petersburg the next day, it was probably time to call it a night.

Today was another ordinary day: lessons followed by lunch. When I returned to the flat, I packed my things for the trip and settled down to get some work done, as I wouldn't be getting back until 5.30am on Monday morning so would have no other chance to do it. After a few minutes there was a tentative knock at my door and my babushka entered, smiling. She said she had a couple of old books on Leningrad – Saint Petersburg, she quickly corrected herself (she was always doing that, she said) – and thought they might help me plan my trip. She searched the shelves, naming guide book after guide book until she found two on Leningrad (written in the 1970s, when it was still called this) and one on Kiev for my reading week trip.

She stood next to me and flicked through the books, explaining worthwhile places to visit, before moving on to talk about the theatres there and how she used to travel there on business trips and get the spare tickets for the ballet and the opera for free. She seemed to show a real nostalgia for those days and I could tell she was enjoying talking about it. She called it Leningrad again by mistake and we started to talk about how there had been a huge debate over whether it was right to rename it back to the German-sounding ‘Petersburg’, when its other former name, Petrograd, would have been more appropriate. Many who lost loved ones in the blockade in Leningrad even oppose this, calling it sacrilege to the revolutionary past of the city. As we had talked about it in class that same day, I was interested to know why the citizens of Petersburg were also against the popular shortening of the name to Peter. Lyudmila couldn't be sure but thought, in accordance with what the grammar teacher had said, that they found it offensive.

This moved us on to the topic of the trend that has begun in Russia of returning cities their Soviet names in order to avoid burying the Soviet past, for example in Volgograd, which was formerly called Tsaritsin and then Stalingrad. I was surprised, as I had always assumed this was a debate about glorifying Stalin, but according to Lyudmila it’s not a governmental ploy but the citizens’ own desire to remember those lost in the Battle of Stalingrad in World War II. It’s a really interesting topic, not least because it’s as far-reaching as the street names all over the country, which were also renamed to honour Soviet figures and dates, even in Yaroslavl, such as the streets кирова (after the early Bolshevik leader Kirov), октябрьская (after the October Revolution) and первомайская (after the Soviet International Workers’ Day).

While I've been writing this Lyudmila has come in again, laden with a huge bag of food to for me take to Petersburg – bread rolls, pies, biscuits, nectarines and apples. She came and started flicking through the book again and told me about a good excursion that I might be able to get on, and before we knew it we were chatting again and she needed to sit down because she couldn't stand for that long. Last time we had talked for over half an hour. When I came to sit down to dinner I was presented with an absolute feast: two pieces of fish, stuffed peppers, bread, salad and marinated cabbage and carrot – enough for two! I think we’re getting on pretty well after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment