Thursday 4 October 2012

3rd October: Return to Russia

Suddenly, I’m back in Russia, and it’s as though I never left and the past four days were just a dream. The next three months stretch languorously ahead of me and all I can do is count off the weeks and hope that Christmas is a lot quicker in coming than it’s threatening to be. The trick is, I’ve found, to break the time down into smaller sections and make sure each section has something in it I can look forward to. Today we talked about our Reading Week plans again and talked about going to St Petersburg in a few weeks. These kinds of things will keep me sane.

I don’t want to give off the impression that being here is really awful – in all honesty, most of the time things are really good; I have a really good group of friends, an interesting university course and things to do in my spare time. The problem is simply that, of all the things I’ve done and all the places I’ve been, I’ve never felt so far from home as I sometimes do here.
Last night was a case in point. My flight actually arrived early, meaning that instead of landing at 18.05 Moscow time, I was already through customs with my baggage by that time. Having ordered a transfer, and not seeing anyone with my name on a placard in the Arrivals area, I called the number I had been given for my driver, Sergei. He spoke in extremely fast, mumbled Russian but I managed to ascertain that he was on his way and that I should wait where I was. I waited where I was for over an hour.
Numerous phone calls and several frozen fingers and toes later, my originally calm acceptance of the situation was beginning to give way to panic, particularly as the increasingly short-tempered Sergei was no longer even answering his phone. Finally I did the only thing I could think of left to do and texted my mum – my reflex reaction in all crises, despite the fact she is usually on the other side of the world at the time. Just at that moment my phone started ringing – an unknown number. It was someone from the transfer company, who explained I needed to walk towards a large Audi billboard and wait there for a blue Mercedes, registration 831, which would arrive in fifteen minutes. Two minutes later I received a text confirming the car details and the driver’s name (no sign or even a mention of Sergei).
The relief I felt when I saw that van is indescribable. I asked the driver his name, remembering that you should always ask questions only the registered staff could know, rather than questions which anyone could answer convincingly with a ‘yes’ or ‘no’. He confirmed he was in fact Maxim, but that he wasn’t taking me to Yaroslavl – something about another van. I nodded numbly, reasoning that this was the car that had been sent for me so must eventually be taking me to the right destination.
We sat in Moscow rush hour traffic for over an hour before pulling over on the hard shoulder. I worriedly looked around at the other passengers, who were all sitting calmly and quietly. Finally I plucked up the courage to ask the obvious question, and a kind-looking lady travelling with her grandson explained that we were waiting for another transit vehicle to take us on to Yaroslavl. Baffled by the whole process but glad to know what was going on, I settled down to wait, texting my mum to reassure her I hadn’t actually been murdered and would soon be on my way.
An hour of sitting in the cold and dark, and another minibus finally showed up. We were ushered on, and now the real journey began. It was 12.30 before I was finally dropped home – right to my door, thank goodness – and the journey had been unbearably long. The driver’s manic speeding over the bumpy Russian roads had meant I hadn’t been able to sleep at all and had an attractively backcombed section of hair from where my head had been repeatedly banged against the headrest. Nevertheless, I’d made it, and in one piece. Lyudmila answered the door straight away, and it was a strange comfort to see her smiling at the door. I entered my room to see fresh sheets and towels, and best of all – the heating had been turned on. It was all going to be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment