Wednesday 3 October 2012

29th September: A Flying Visit

It is amazing and surreal to be back home. It’s bizarre to think that I’ve become someone who just pops back from Moscow for the weekend. Sometimes it’s like I’m watching someone else doing these things; the concept of doing them myself seems incomprehensible and completely beyond my capabilities. I look back to just a couple of years ago and it feels like I’m looking at a different person – a shadow, a silhouette, incongruous with who I am now.

When I finally walked through Heathrow Arrivals and into my dad’s arms on Friday night, I was exhausted. My flight had landed fifteen minutes late; my baggage took over an hour to arrive; and I was surviving off only two hours’ sleep.
I’ll flashback to Thursday and explain all. I’d been tired from the moment I woke up from another restless night’s sleep, and by lunchtime the prospect of the hours ahead before we were going out seemed daunting and exhausting. Luckily, Alexia needed to go to the market to buy shoes for the evening, so as I needed to get some fruit, the two of us went together.
Alexia’s bartering skills were impressive: a clever mix of hard bargaining and flirtation. In the end she got the hapless Armenian salesman down from 2500r (£50) to 650r (£13) – but that wasn’t enough to discourage him from boldly asking for my phone number. Next we ventured into the market hall to buy apples and apricots. At the apricot stand, we were absolutely nonplussed when our attempts at haggling were quashed by an over-eager market guy who insisted he wouldn’t sell me the apricots at all; he’d give me some apricots, but only if I agreed to a date with him. I said that was very nice of him but I really would rather just buy the apricots, but he was insistent. Eventually I managed to barter him down to just my phone number (which he immediately rang to check) for some free apricots and the promise that there would be lots more dried fruit when I came to meet him (oo-er). This throwaway negotiation seemed all very well at the time, but in retrospect has left me with the issue: where on earth am I going to get my apricots now? At 6 o’clock that same evening I got a phone call from this market guy (whose name is Kanon by the way) and had to explain that, no, I was not free for dinner that evening and, no, not tomorrow either, or the next day as I was going back to England. I hope he’ll eventually forget.
After our market adventures, Alexia and I went to the big book shop on Kirova, as I wanted to take advantage of the extra luggage space and take some books back with me this time round. An hour later I emerged with a stack of five hard-back books, which had cost me less than 300r (£6) in total. I’m finding it difficult to get my head round the random pricing system of this country; books are cheap, but to buy clothes you have to buy expensive imported brands or get them from the market?
Another thing I can’t quite work out is how the restaurant industry survives here, because no matter where you go, the service is beyond awful. At 7.30 a big group of us met at a local Italian restaurant for Seb’s birthday, hoping for a chilled meal out. However, by almost 10 o’clock our food still hadn’t arrived, and the mood was slowly being dampened by hunger and frustration. It was then that a waiter emerged to inform us that none of our pizzas were coming (something about a problem with the pizza oven) so could everyone re-order. The idea of waiting another two hours for food we didn’t even really want was ridiculous so after a long debate, we stormed out of the restaurant, paying for 60% of the drinks bill.
Ben and I went on to Макмастер, a local fast food restaurant (of which there are many, all with names based around McDonald’s – McMaster, GrillDonalds, etc.) before meeting the others at Your Bar, which was fast becoming our local. One of the group, I’m not sure who, had sorted out tables for us as usual and the message went round that we could order whatever we liked. Little did we know that at the end of the night we would be landed a bill for every single thing we’d ordered, amounting to 18,000r (£360), to be split between the fifteen of us who were still there.

By this stage, not only was it past 3am, way too late for me to be out, with my flight being the next day, but more drama had kicked off and one of my close friends was in tears; I needed to get her out of there as quickly as I could. The bouncers had other ideas. They were refusing to let any of us leave the bar until the full amount was paid. I tried reasoning with them, telling them my friend had had a death in the family – they could see how upset she was – but they were physically forcing me back. Eventually, without me realising what was happening, Rob was giving them 5000r and we were being ushered out of the club. We had no idea what would happen to the rest of them.
It was 4am when I eventually collapsed into bed, having been walked home by some friends. I had only two hours before being violently awakened by my phone alarm and beginning what was to be a very long day. Just before 7am I took the trolleybus to the main train station, where an airport transfer van would be waiting for me. Added to the exhaustion, I was fighting a feeling of nausea from the big breakfast Lyudmila had generously given me (along with a lunch consisting of six bread rolls and more fruit than I could imagine consuming in a week) and was dreading the thought of the six-hour road journey ahead. My brain itself felt lethargic and I accepted the change from the bus conductor, 450r all in 10r notes, with only a mild feeling of irritation.
Nonetheless, it was a relief when I had found the correct transfer van and was sitting securely inside with the long journey ahead of me. I slept a while and when I awoke, the other three passengers, a couple and a girl not much older than me, were chatting cheerfully. After a while it transpired that the girl, Violetta, was from Yaroslavl originally but had moved to Morocco with her husband and had been in Russia visiting her mother for only the second time in two years. We got talking and swapped Skype details; she even offered me an open invitation to visit her in Morocco. As I was still exhausted, I soon apologised and said I needed to get a bit more sleep, but we agreed to talk more later.
I ended up sleeping for the entire remainder of the journey and it was only when the other passengers gently stirred me that I realised we had reached the airport, an hour ahead of schedule. Violetta and I went together and after a long search managed to find two seats together, where we sat and talked for a few hours before our check-in desks opened. We talked a lot about the situation in Russia, and she explained that she, like a lot of other young people in Russia, had felt the only way for her to secure herself a good future was to move abroad. So she and her husband, whom she’d met in Turkey, had moved to Morocco, where wages were the same but life was much more comfortable. She told me how in Russia, where wages were so low (around £10 a day average salary) and living costs were high (almost the same as in Britain, I’d say), people could barely afford to survive, let alone enjoy themselves. From the Russian people I’ve met, I get the impression that anyone with any sense of ambition in Russia just wants to get out of there.
Needless to say, it’s a relief to be back in the green and pleasant land I’m lucky enough to call my home. Being in Russia has made me realise all the things I take for granted; a big, beautiful house in a safe area, near to town and countryside; central heating that I can control myself; washing facilities that don’t involve hanging my clothes on an indoor washing line; a bathroom sink! I realised today that I don’t even think Lyudmila has a vacuum cleaner. It’s something we take completely for granted that we can go out in our cars without having to bribe every policeman we see, that we can just pop down to the supermarket when we need something, that we can leave the country whenever we like, unhindered by the government! It’s a relief to know that this is my reality, and not what I’ve just left behind in Russia.

I don’t know how I’m going to feel about going back to that place, but this weekend has been the break I needed. Yesterday was spent with my family – walking the dogs with my mum, keeping my Nan company while the others went to see the body, watching my brother’s band. It’s been a bizarre mix of familiarity and abnormality, some things being just as they ever were, others changed forever. I can’t describe how good it felt seeing all my family again, but with my impending departure and the absence of Gramps, everything seemed somehow shifted slightly out of place. There were reminders of him everywhere, not least because there was a feature about him in the newspaper on Saturday night and another in Stock Car magazine, which they’d sent us on hearing of his death. Reading about all his achievements, it suddenly struck me; he’d been so proud of me, but I’d never told him how incredibly proud I was of him. He’d achieved so much in his life, but through it all, he was ever the gentleman, ever the family man, always putting his family first.
Today, Mum and I went shopping for a suit for me to wear to his funeral. We were there for nearly six hours, the search seeming almost impossible, but we persevered – Gramps would have wanted everyone to look their best, as he always did himself. It felt important to get it exactly right, so when I returned home with a tailored dress that happened to match perfectly with a suit jacket of Mum’s, I felt like he would be proud. When I think about what I’ve got left to do to get my degree, I keep thinking of how proud he’ll be when I graduate; it’s only after the thought’s passed that it hits me again that he’s not going to be there to see it. His death has been completely surreal for all of us; none of us has been fully able to take it in. I can only hope that tomorrow will bring us all closure and give him the amazing send-off he truly deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment