Sunday 10 February 2013

10th February: Carnival!

On Saturday, I just had time to get a few things done, go for a run and have a shower before making my way over to Lina and Alicia’s to get ready for the carnival. Everyone was hyped for the day ahead and two hours later we were walking down the Gran Vía (which literally translates as Big Road) on our way to the coach. I’ve had some funny looks due to fancy dress before, but that’s nothing compared to when you’re walking down the street dressed as cowgirls and Indians at 4 o’clock in the afternoon.

However, when we reached the coach it was clear that we’d have looked even more ridiculous at the carnival if we hadn’t dressed up; the street was full of other Erasmus students dressed as anything from Snow White to a marihuana plant. Everyone had had the same idea and had come laden with food and drinks for the twelve-hour party ahead of us.
By the time the ESN team had gone through their strange name-call system, which had separated my group into two coaches, it was 5 o’clock, an hour later than our intended departure time. No one seemed particularly concerned; it would have been more of a surprise if we’d have left on time. For the most part, the journey flew by, but by the time we’d been travelling for nearly an hour everyone was anxious to get there and join the carnival.
When we finally arrived at 6.15 Alicia and I found the others and we made a dash to find the nearest toilet, which turned out to be in an old local bar full of old men. We stopped for one drink before following the sounds of voices and music to the hub of the carnival, where there were a couple of fairground rides and food and drink stalls all along the street. The carnival hadn’t even started but the streets were alive with activity, filled with more people who had gone all out to find the perfect costume. There were Power Rangers, Mr Potato Heads, pirates and even an open-top minivan filled with guys dressed as Captain America, which had been completely painted with the Captain America symbol.
We went on one of the rides before making our way into the crowds to check out what was going on. On the way we made friends with a group dressed as prisoners, who refused to believe I wasn’t from Russia – apparently my accent and the way I looked gave it away... I don’t know how to feel about the fact that I sound Russian when I speak Spanish, but it can’t be a good thing...
It wasn’t long before we came across our favourite snack – Smoöy! After a quick frozen yoghurt stop (through which we obtained Valentine’s straws and five points each on our loyalty cards) and a photo behind the counter, we made our way back into the street, which by this time was alive with the carnival. We ate candyfloss and Spanish churros, and nuts and olives, and shared our drinks with each other into little plastic cups. We spent the rest of the night dancing on the street, dancing in bars and even dancing on moving floats. I was even convinced to go on the haunted house ride – an experience, I have to say, I have never had before and never wish to have again.
Anyway, apart from the slightly scarring experience of having an ‘escaped psychopath’ jump out and grab us from behind, we had an amazing time, and it was only the cold and tiredness that made us glad to get back to the coaches at 3.45. We fell asleep within minutes and it felt like no time had passed at all when the coach jolted to a halt at 5.30. The other coaches were far behind so Alicia, Olivier and I made our way back to their flat, where I grabbed my make-up bag and key before heading back to my flat to the comfort of my bed. It had been an incredible night.

No comments:

Post a Comment