Monday 4 February 2013

23rd January: Arrival in Murcia


I don’t quite know how this has happened but I’m currently sitting in a cold, lonely living room of a three-room apartment in the middle of Murcia, Spain.

Actually, I know exactly how it happened – I had to live through the whole thing – but this whole situation seems somehow to have sprung up on me when I wasn’t paying attention. Despite the fact it was probably the longest Christmas break I’ve ever had, I feel like the time’s been swept up from under my feet and that it still just wasn’t quite enough. I’ve spent today as though watching myself through someone else’s eyes, slightly detached from the real world.

We woke up at 3am to the sight of snow swirling thick and fast to settle on the already-white road outside – our biggest dread, and completely unexpected since it had been completely clear when my parents had woken up an hour earlier to check. My dad is an expert at this sort of thing though and we arrived at East Midlands Airport ten minutes before we’d planned. The rest of the journey passed in the same way without a hitch; the plane was only delayed by fifteen minutes; the baggage came through almost immediately and the bus to Murcia arrived within ten minutes of me finding the bus stop. Then it was time for the part I was dreading the most – the part that was most likely to go wrong – meeting my new landlady at the other end. I had tried calling several numbers with various combinations of country code and was beginning to think over a Plan B when my phone rang; it was Carmen, the landlady’s niece, whom I’d been emailing over the past week to arrange everything.

Exhausted and extremely embarrassed to have the whole coach hearing my barely passable Spanish, I managed to stutter a few words and arranged to speak to Agustina, the aunt. And with one phone call everything was arranged; I was to meet her outside the house in twenty minutes. After finding the taxi rank on the far side of the bus station and negotiating a price with the driver, I found myself waiting, surrounded by luggage, on the pavement of a side-street with nothing to do but hope the landlady would actually come.
Ten minutes later, a small, elderly Spanish lady approached me with a smile and a look of recognition (she has never seen me before, but I’m pretty sure the lost tourist look and piles of baggage gave me away). When she initiated a kiss-on-both-cheeks greeting, which is obviously normal here, it took me by surprise but seemed quite a nice way of starting off on a nice friendly footing – although I can understand why most English people would consider it a bit of a weird affront to their personal space (and I have to admit that this is probably more our problem than theirs). It somehow made me feel uncomfortable yet more at ease at the same time.

Despite her age, Agustina insisted on carrying my smaller case up the two flights of stairs to the flat, swatting my hand away good-naturedly when I offered to help. Except for a moment of minor panic when I thought the flat didn’t continue around the corner and just consisted of one box room, a kitchen and a living room, my first impressions of the place were good and I could imagine how nice it would be to be living there as it got a bit warmer, especially with the little balcony off the living room. When she had shown me around and I’d paid what I owed, Agustina fetched the clean sheets and, bizarrely, we made up my bed together whilst attempting polite conversation without confusing one another (quite a challenge since I kept accidentally switching to Russian). Then, assuring me I could call any time I needed to, Agustina left me to my own devices for the rest of the afternoon.

I grabbed a quick lunch before unpacking my cases into the copious amount of wardrobes and cupboards in my new room. Then it was time to make a list and pop out for essentials – which was more difficult than it sounds. As always, I got distracted by the exciting new city and ended up wandering around to take it all in – not a sensible idea when you don’t have a map or any kind of natural sense of direction. Giving up on my pathetic attempt to make a circuit back to the river, which should be an obvious landmark, I finally admitted defeat and asked a passer-by, who probably thought I was a little odd since my clarification of ‘river’ was to say ‘water’ and wave my arms around in a vague flowing motion. Ironically, as I was on my way, someone asked me for directions; why do I only get asked for directions when I’m in a foreign country and have no idea where anything is?
Unfortunately, the guy who had directed me had failed to mention the potential hazards of this route – SHOPS! I managed to restrain myself, even past Bershka and Zara, but made an essential stop at Oysho to grab a woolly cardigan and some Snoopy slippers to keep me warm in my sad, cold little apartment.

It was now 4.30 and I was anxious to find my way back before it got dark, so asked the next passer-by where to find the nearest supermarket – only to find it was literally one hundred yards from my house. I spent an embarrassing amount of time browsing all the different products and getting excited by offers on old faves such as Special K, only to realise when I got back that I’d forgotten one of the most essential items: toilet roll. I was too conscious of my incompetence to go back to the same shop, and since I hadn’t managed to get everything on my first trip anyway, went to the slightly bigger place I’d seen a little further away. This time I was successful and emerged triumphant into the cool, windy street, which by this time was finally beginning to grow dark. There was still a hint of sunshine in the sky, permeated with hints of red, the promise of good things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment