Monday 4 February 2013

4th February: An Interesting Weekend


When I turned up to at lecture on Friday, there was no sign of either a lecturer or a class so, after bumping into Ethan, an exchange student from America, I decided to try out the General Translation class which was due to start at the same time. This turned out to be a fortunate coincidence as it was one of the best classes I’d tried so far and I’m now seriously considering enrolling.

Since the Translation class finished early, I decided to go over to Carrefour one last time to make sure I had all the essentials and unusual items I might need over the next few weeks, so I could just top up on small bits at the local supermarket. On my way back I had a text from Ali inviting me to tapas at 7.20, giving me only forty-five minutes to get back, make some dinner, get ready and walk to meet them. I might have been absolutely fine had I not decided to test out a ‘short-cut’ which actually took me over fifteen minutes out of my way. I just had time to grab a snack and unpack my shopping before rushing out the door.

It turned out to be a good thing I only had time for a snack, as the amount of tapas we bought was a meal in itself. The place we went to has a brilliant system where each table writes down all the dishes they want on a piece of paper, which is separated into boxes indicating different kinds of food – such as meat, vegetables, fish and fried foods. The food itself tasted amazing, and it was all too easy to completely over-eat, helping ourselves to whatever was in front of us.

After tapas, it was time to meet the others and make our way to the theatre. The play turned out to be a completely surreal experience, as although we were all agreed that the language was easy to understand, not one of us had any idea of what was actually going on. Maybe next time we should go for something slightly less abstract.

It wasn’t even 11pm yet, so we decided to head over to Revolver for a few drinks to end the night. At just before one, we called it a night, since we had to get up relatively early the next day for our trip to the nearby town of Elche.

At 10am the next day, we met outside the department store El Corte Ingles and walked to the bus station, which is in the ‘dodgy end of town’. I remember being horrified when I first arrived in Murcia at what on earth I’d signed myself up to, as this part is full of run-down flats, graffiti and burly-looking foreign immigrants. However, we were safe in our group of six (one more than usual, since Ali had her friend Verity over for the weekend) and were soon on our way to Elche in a swanky new coach.

When we arrived in Elche forty-five minutes later, the first thing that struck us was how incredibly  windy it was. It having been over twenty degrees over the past few days in Murcia, none of us were dressed for this cold, gusty weather and we took the first opportunity to duck inside the nearest building, which happened to be an archaeological museum – not exactly the exciting time we’d had in mind. After a vague wander around the museum, we headed into the town centre and, after getting lost for quite a while, eventually found our bearings again and headed to the main square for lunch.

By this time we were reluctant to go back outside at all and were wondering what on earth to do with the rest of the day when we came across the answer to our problems: a tourist train. I’m not entirely sure it was worth the 3 Euro per person price, since we just ended up going around all the streets we’d got lost in earlier in the day, but we did get to see the much-revered palm tree grove, which is the town’s obsession. At any rate, we managed to have a good laugh wondering if we’d ever escape the rows upon rows of palm trees the little train was taking us through at three miles an hour.

After the thrilling train ride, we had a bit of time left before our return coach, so made it our mission to find an indoor ice-cream cafe – a mission which was easy to accomplish. At half-past five, we were on our way back to Murcia, where we walked to the centre together, stopping off for cocktail ingredients on the way. That evening, we were going to have our big night out, taking advantage of Annalisa’s empty flat for pre-drinks before heading to the clubs which were all in her end of town.

Our cocktails were an interesting mix of anything we fancied putting in for the perfect combination of sweet and alcoholic, and we were having such a good time chatting and playing drinking games that it was nearly 2am before we made it out to the clubs. After discovering the horrendous entry prices, we eventually chose a club charging five Euros for entry and a free drink. It was 6am before we made it home.

Sunday was pretty much a write-off, since I didn’t even wake up until 3 in the afternoon – possibly the latest I’ve ever slept. I’d just finished my breakfast and was still wandering around in my PJs when who should turn up but my landlady. This was not the impression I wanted to give off – especially as I’d been expecting her the day before and there was no longer any evidence of my pain-staking efforts of tidying the place up. Luckily, she seemed as cheerful as ever and only wanted to check the water meter and tell me that both my flatmate and my Internet were on their way.

It’s fair to say that I spent the rest of the day engrossed in Harry Potter, since I not only carried on reading my Spanish Goblet of Fire, but watched The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Order of the Phoenix in Spanish too, since this seemed to be the perfect combination of work and leisure in my present state. It’s a really good way to practice, since I already know the stories fairly well and it doesn’t make me lose the will to live like some of the programmes on Spanish MTV.

Today I woke up at the more reasonable hour of 10am with a slight cold but with a definite desire to have a more efficient day. I have a German Translation module to try out at 4pm and am planning on going over to Alicia’s again to use her Internet connection, but other than that I’m free to get a bit of work done. This evening should be another Erasmus social at the Fosters pub, and hopefully everyone should have recovered enough from Saturday to want to go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment