Thursday 11 April 2013

11th April: Back to normal

There’s not much to report from this week so far as everyone seems to have done the same thing and is frantically catching up with work after the Easter break. However, since the weekend and following week are bound to be busy with the Benidorm trip, my birthday and my parents’ visits, I’ve decided to write a short blog entry now before things get too hectic.

After writing my entry on Tuesday, I stayed in the flat chatting to Giorgos for a while before going out to do some reading in the sun. That evening, after teaching, my friends and I went for a few casual drinks because the weather was too nice to be cooped up inside. For the first time, we were able to sit outside without heaters and feel completely warm; it was bliss.
The next day I woke up at a reasonable time again to finish off the remaining translations I had to do for my Methodology class. At 2.30 I met Ali at the library in a vain attempt to find books on non-verbal communication in Britain for our linguistics presentation. After ascertaining that the library had nothing even vaguely related to what we needed, we sat in the sun waiting to meet people at 3.

I was meant to be meeting my Methodology group to do some work on an upcoming presentation, but since there was no sign of them, I went to sit with Giorgos and a friend of his, who had just walked past. When 3.30 came and went I decided to go on a quest for my group, eventually finding them in our classroom, not at the library entrance as agreed. It was then that I found out that we were doing our presentation that day. Naturally, I’d assumed that we were meeting up to work on the presentation a lot earlier than half an hour before we had to perform it, so only had half-finished answers which weren’t in Powerpoint form. Not only this, but my group had allocated the questions wrong, meaning that if we had to present the first set of questions, I wouldn’t have anything to say at all. So, ten minutes before we had to stand up in front of the whole class, we were frantically translating one of the other girls’ translations into Spanish (since they have to answer in English, and I in Spanish).
When my turn came up I was surprisingly together and managed to read off my crumpled bit off paper with only a few hesitations. At least I could be confident that the Spanish was perfect – the problem was that the content of the answer wasn’t all that comprehensive, and the lecturer picked up on it. I was a bit annoyed about the time I’d wasted preparing full answers and translating them all into Spanish, but I’d survived it and that was the main thing.

After Methodology I had General Translation, which really dragged that day. Unusually, the class lasted the full two hours and I didn’t get back to the flat until almost 8.30 – just time to grab something to eat, have a quick shower and get ready before heading out again to meet the girls for drinks. Again, we all had early starts the next day so only stayed out till just gone midnight, but it was nice to have a few quiet drinks in the warm.
Today has been the longest day my week so far. I started with linguistics at 10, which consisted of two hours of constant note-taking. After that I had an hour to kill before meeting Isabel from my German group, which I spent reading Cincuenta sombras de Grey (my latest attempt at learning everyday vocabulary – although admittedly, I don’t expect a lot of it will come up in polite chitchat.) When Isabel arrived, we did the usual Spanish greeting of a kiss on both cheeks, which has already become second nature, before making our way to a bustling bar just off Plaza Santo Domingo. We had a lovely chat for an hour before I had to dash back home, grab some lunch and my teaching materials and go back out again.

Today’s Methodology lecture was a bit strange as half of it was spent in the corridor waiting for our tutor group session to begin. When we eventually got to see the teacher, all we had to do was tell her our plans for the final presentation before she let us go. From there, I made my way to teaching, which started a bit strangely too. Marie Carmen and Carmen were at the dentist when I arrived so I had to call Marie Carmen for her to come out of the dentist (which was, helpfully, just opposite) and give me the key to the flat. I couldn’t quite believe that she trusted me enough to do this but was glad she did. When she and her daughter returned, I even had to let her in. She’s obviously happy with my teaching because at the end of the hour she told me she’d recommended me to a friend of hers. It’s all going very well.

It was around 7.30 when I returned to the flat. I’ve just finished my dinner and completed some writing in German (which feels scarily rusty already) and now I have the rest of the evening to do a bit of work and relax before my long day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment