Saturday 20 April 2013

19th April: Never Been 21 Before


My parents arrived late on Sunday evening so the following morning I was going to meet them. I should mention, however, that on Sunday evening, two days before my twenty-first birthday, I, in my great wisdom, decided to dye my hair - and somehow ended up turning it jet black. Devastated doesn't even begin to cover it. Why is it that all my major birthdays have to involve some kind of disaster? On my eighteenth we were stranded in Berlin by the volcanic ash cloud, and now, on my twenty-first, I'd accidentally turned myself into an emo. Fortunately, the reactions I've had from the change have actually been surprisingly positive. Five days later, I'm just about getting used to it.

Anyway, on Monday morning, I quickly got some work done before going to meet my parents in a cafe out the cathedral. After my mum and I had run into each others arms, I looked up just as she said, "Look who's here!" And there, sitting next to my dad and smiling enthusiastically at me, were my aunt and uncle, who had come all the way from Germany to surprise me! I couldn't believe my eyes.

A happy reunion and a cup of coffee later, we set off on a little tour of Murcia which ended, naturally, at Gran Vía. Not to be slowed down in our serious shopping session, my mum, my auntie and I sent my dad and uncle to a nearby cafe while we got some retail therapy (I say 'we' but it was actually just everyone picking out clothes for me). By the time we went to meet the men at 3.30, I was laden with shopping bags filled with pretty new things.

For lunch we went to a little outdoor cafe in the park near to El Corte Inglés, since it was warm enough and the others were keen to make the most of the weather. The menu was pretty basic but I managed to order my mum and me mixed salads of my own invention which weren't actually on the list. My dad, who is dubious of cultural differences at the best of times, was less than impressed with the Russian salad he'd ordered, but was eventually convinced when he got past its appearance.

During lunch I received a message from Mariluz asking me to come to teach a bit later that day, giving us another hour's shopping time. We couldn't believe it when 5.15 came along and  I had to run off to avoid being late.

After giving two lessons (as Sergio couldn't have a class again that day) I dashed back to my flat and changed into some evening clothes. Since my family was keen to meet him, I brought Giorgos along and we met them at El Bosque Animado, a bar next to their hotel, which was itself only five minutes' walk from my flat. By the time we'd had a round of drinks it was 9.30 and we were getting hungry. However, when we got to the tapas bar we'd had in mind, it was closed so we decided on El Principe de Gales instead. Unfortunately, it being Monday, everywhere was quiet and there wasn't much of an atmosphere, but we were happy enough the six of us. At around 11pm Giorgos and I excused ourselves and went to tandem to meet Fernando and the others. When midnight came everyone wished me a happy birthday and I realised what an unusual way this was to bring in my twenty-first birthday - in a little bar in a Spanish town, surrounded by foreign friends.

It wasn't long before I had to make my way back to the flat to get some work done, since my Methodology group needed me to transcribe a video before Wednesday, and I didn't want to have to do it the next day. By 2.30am I had it finished and collapsed into bed, exhausted.

Five hours later I woke up to go to my German lecture, which I couldn't afford to miss. Typically, for once, it ended late and I couldn't get to my family until nearly midday. By this time they'd finished their coffee and were waiting in the cafe to go to my flat, huge red suitcase full of goodies in tow.

I couldn't believe how much they'd brought me; my clothes for the summer, my post and, most of all, dozens of cards and presents. As we were sorting everything out and making drinks, Giorgos emerged from his bedroom and came to sit with us while I opened my cards and presents. I felt so lucky that everyone had gone to so much trouble even with me living on the other side of the world. Everyone had been so thoughtful; my childhood friend Louise had got me a 'Fabulous Sister' card; my other childhood friend Rachel had found an old photo of me and made it into a card; and I'd had separate cards from my cousins, one of which was a collage of photos of me taken from all over Facebook. To mention just a few things, I had a Pandora ring, photo vouchers for my year abroad, a dress and even a watch and Spanish fan from Giorgos. My mum had made me a "21" photo album with photos of me growing up, as well as got me cute little things like a dalmatian Beanie Baby as a reminder of my childhood obsession with dalmatians and Beanie Babies. Of course, the real treat was my MacBook Air, which is just perfect. I've never felt so spoilt and lucky.

After I'd opened all my presents and cards, my mum, Steve and Judy went into town whilst my dad and I configured my new laptop. When they hadn't reappeared over an hour later I was beginning to wonder if they'd got lost - until we got a phone call asking us to meet them by the hotel. We packed up and set off, and then, as we were walking down the road, I had my second huge surprise in two days - as who should be running towards me but my Auntie Debbie and my Uncle Marc! I had absolutely no idea about this second huge surprise - just when I'd thought my birthday couldn't get any more special!
So, reunited and ecstatic to be there together, we headed to the sunny cathedral square to have some lunch. No one could believe how lovely the weather was and how pretty the town, and I was glad to be able to share it with them.

After lunch I took everyone to see my university and to see other parts of the town, stopping of at El Corte Inglés to buy a protective case for my new Mac - choosing one which was polka dot with a pink furry lining on the inside. When we next looked at our watches it was almost 6 o'clock, so we decided to go our separate ways to get ready for dinner. I changed into the outfit my nan had bought me when she came in March, on the condition that I wore it that day. I felt amazing in it - white tailored trousers with embroidered blue flowers; a loose navy silk shirt and a navy military jacket with silver zips and beading and silver buttons. It actually looked really nice with my new accident (the black hair). 

At 8pm I met everyone at El Bosque Animado, where we sat outside and had cocktails. By 9pm I'd finally made up my mind about where to eat - deciding on the chic-looking Murcian restaurant nearby instead of the paella restaurant I'd originally had planned. The others, despite my conviction that we didn't need to, were certain that we needed to make a reservation at this place, so my dad and my Auntie Judy disappeared for a while to sort it out.

It was lucky they did; by the time we got to the restaurant at 9.45, ours was the only free table; I've never seen a restaurant so busy the whole time I've been here. Rather than have the confusion of translating everything for everyone, I ordered us a few entrees for the table and helped everyone out with their main courses. The waiter, who was around my age and was good-naturedly making attempts at speaking English, was brilliant and the food was to die for. We were meant to be meeting my friends for drinks at 10.30 but it was nearly 11 when I ordered the bill. I was just getting ready to leave when I spotted the friendly waiter emerging with a huge chocolate birthday cake and two giant candles: "21". He launched into a very high-pitched and foreign-sounding rendition of Happy Birthday, and before I knew it the entire restaurant had joined in and I had no choice but to helplessly smile along. It felt incredibly awkward but incredibly special at the same time; it's a moment I'll never forget.

As we were leaving the restaurant a group of Germans congratulated me on my birthday and I was able to whip out a bit of German. Then we made our way to the bar on the corner (which is actually called La Colmena, as I've finally managed to remember), where Alicia, Lina, Annalisa and Ali were already waiting. They'd already set out the right number of seats and, after the obligatory introductions we ordered in some drinks. As we were drinking and chatting, the girls handed a huge package to me and told me to open it. Inside was an absolute treasure chest of gifts: a big beach bag; a beautiful little notebook; a pair of earrings; a bracelet; a clutch bag and a set of nail varnishes.  It was so thoughtful of them; I know it sounds clichéd but I just can't believe how lucky I am to have so many kind, generous people in my life.

We stayed out until just before 2am, when my dad and my Uncle Ste walked me back to my flat. I thanked them again for such an incredible, unforgettable day before saying goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment