Saturday 17 November 2012

17th November: A Surreal Evening


The last few days have flown by in a blur and I've not had time to stop and think since I last wrote. I’m glad I took a bit of time out on Wednesday to get up-to-date and didn't go out anywhere in the evening for the first time in I don’t know how long.

On Thursday I thought it was about time I joined the others for lunch again, since I hadn't really been around for the rest of the week. By the time I got back I just had time to do my work before grabbing a quick dinner and leaving for choir. We were working on The Lord Bless You and Keep You, which is in English, meaning that for once I know that if I pronounce something differently, it’s me who’s in the right. There is another native English speaker in the choir, an American guy who’s come over to study at a different branch of the university, and everyone was amazed at his pronunciation. When I’d said my version, though, it was decided the English pronunciation should be adopted: another victory for Team GB!

In the break I had to dash off to my exercise class, which was aerobics that day, a class I didn't want to miss. I have to admit, it was a bit of an effort leaving choir early and braving the cold and the rain, but I’m glad I did it. I’d forgotten that the instructor, Irina, is just that little bit crazy, so of course this was not going to be any ordinary aerobics class. It consisted of a mixture of muscle strength work, one part standing, one part floor work (all normal so far) and a cardio part which is probably best described as the kind of mad dancing you do when you’re a kid, all sidesteps and turns and clapping. I've got to say, it was a fast-paced workout, and there’s no mood-booster quite like dancing around like a prat for an hour.

The next day, I didn't go to exercise at all since Julia, the girl I’d met at choir, had got me a free ticket to watch her play the balalaika in the National Folk Orchestra. She’d given me a huge list of possible buses and marshrutkas to take, but even after asking my teacher where to get them from I still ended up standing at the wrong stop. Eventually, I managed to jump on a number 80, asking the driver if he could tell me when my stop, Индустриальная (Industrial Stop) was, since I had absolutely no idea where I was going. At the next stop, a lad about my age jumped out of the front seat and came to talk to me, interested to know where I was from and what I was doing there. Worried about missing my stop, I was distracted and not really fully engaged in the conversation, but he was undeterred and proceeded to chat to me for the entire journey. In the end he took my Facebook details and my number and said he’d show me some of the sights around Yaroslavl.

When we arrived at his stop, he told me where mine was and said I could ring him if I had any problems. It so happened that the surly driver came through at the last minute by telling me we’d arrived at my stop (in the typical Russian way, of course: “Girl, this is Industrial Stop.”) It was at this point I became slightly alarmed, since I seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, with no sign of Дом Културы Радий, or anything resembling a concert hall, in sight. Nonetheless, I phoned Julia, as she’d agreed to meet me and walk me to the concert, and in less than five minutes she was there, out of breath from having run the whole way, not wanting to keep me waiting. She was cheerful as usual and not at all annoyed that I was over ten minutes late.

It was no wonder she was out of breath, the concert hall being a good few minutes’ walk away and ridden with deep potholes and muddy puddles. Once there, she showed me upstairs to the rehearsal room and introduced me to everyone; it seemed almost her whole family were members of the orchestra. The orchestra was actually set up by her grandfather, who conducted it in 1986 but now plays the in the balalaika section. Her grandmother and her little six-year-old brother are also in it, and her older brother, who’s eighteen, used to be in it too but seems to have realised it’s not exactly a cool hobby and was reluctantly there as an audience-member instead. Julia was so excited to tell me all about the orchestra and show me all the old photos, I felt awful when my phone went off; it was Dennis from the bus, wanting to know if I’d found the place all right. Bless.

I talked to her grandmother for a bit, explaining that it was unlikely that I knew the two people she knew from Exeter, since there are over five thousand people at the university alone. Then, as Julia was showing me how to play a chord on the balalaika, her grandmother came over again and asked me if I knew a man called Richard Bower – the conductor of the Exeter University Symphony Orchestra! Unbelievable, that of all the people in England she could know, she’s friends with the man who conducts my old orchestra. I’m to say ‘hi’ for her, apparently.

Soon it was time for the concert, so Julia led me to the main hall, which was laid out like a theatre, with red tiered seating and a raised stage. The concert itself was fantastic; it was presented as a traditional Russian story about the passing of the seasons and the seasonal balls, by two hosts in glamorous Russian costumes. The musicians were talented and enthusiastic, and the music itself was lively and uplifting. The performance even included solos from male singers, an accordion and a strange instrument I've never seen before – kind of like a horizontal harp struck by beaters. It was a real authentic Russian experience and I felt really privileged to have had the opportunity.

After the concert, Julia and her brother Vanya and I walked around the area a bit and chatted. Vanya speaks unbelievably fast and is sometimes impossible to understand, as is his Russian sense of humour, but he seems like good fun and wants our friends to meet on Monday at Cocktail Bar. Apparently there’s a Yaroslavl cocktail I have to try; it sounds lethal.

By then it was getting on for 9 o’clock and my hands were beginning to freeze, so I decided I’d best be getting back if I wanted to meet the others in town. On the marshrutka back a girl sat next to me and, seeing my bear gloves, showed them to her son. I asked him if he liked them and from then, a conversation started between the girl and me, whose name was Olga. It turned out we were getting off at the same stop, and not only that, but she lived on my road. She asked me to come over and, taken aback by this sudden invitation, I asked her if she meant right now. She said of course, if I wanted to and wasn't busy. All the usual doubts went through my head before I remembered what I’d read about Russian hospitality and what my teachers had told me, that Russians find it quite normal to make new friends in this way, particularly with foreigners.

Still dubious as it went against my instincts and everything I’d been told when I was growing up, I told myself that since she lived on my road and had a ten-year-old son, it would be fine. I accepted but added as a precaution that I couldn't stay long as I was meeting my friends. When we were nearly at her house I had a message saying people were on their way into town, and started to explain that I couldn't visit after all. Olga seemed disappointed and said I could just stay for a cup of tea as I looked freezing, but she was ready to walk me back to my house if I wanted. With a sudden burst of impulsiveness I agreed, and before I knew it, I was in her warm little flat, taking off my shoes and accepting a woolly polo neck and a brand new pair of socks. She had me put on some little silver slippers with pink feathers and asked me if I’d prefer tea or something else.

After much deliberation, not wanting to put her out by getting her to open a bottle of wine or drinking her favourite spirit, I let her make me her usual, which happened to be Malibu (which I love) and milk (an unexpected but effective combination). Then we just ended up talking for hours about our lives and our interests, and her little son Italii, who she’d had when she was eighteen. She’d divorced since then and now it was just the two of them, and they seemed more like best friends than mother and son. Anyway, we got on really well and she invited me to come round any time, since it couldn't be much fun living with an elderly landlady.

When it was nearly midnight I decided I really should go as everyone was expecting me at Oktoberfest, and Olga insisted on walking me there; she was worried I’d get lost or get into trouble. On the way, I was getting messages from Dennis and she was getting calls from her new boyfriend, and we got talking about guys. The guy she’s seeing, from what I can gather, has a shady career and has just come out of prison after eight years. I asked her if she was scared of him and she said simply, “He doesn't hit women”. Just in case I’d forgotten what a complete other world this place is.

We reached Oktoberfest and since she didn't want to stay, we said our goodbyes and agreed to meet over the weekend (after all, I’d have to see her again sometime; I was wearing her clothes). I stayed with everyone in Oktoberfest for one drink before a smaller group of us moved on to Your Бар. I’d forgotten what a good bar that is – good music, good prices, dance floor – since the whole fiasco, but I think you’re pretty safe there as long as you’re not in a huge group. At around 3.30 I walked back with Jojo and James, after a surreal but successful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment