Thursday 1 November 2012

1st November: A Dog’s Life


Just as I’d hoped, we came to a final decision about reading week the next day. We asked about all our different ideas in the university office and, after ascertaining that they were all far too ambitious for this late in the day, went straight to an Internet café after class and spent the whole afternoon planning our trip to Ukraine – which had been our very first idea. The plan was, to get a train to Moscow on Saturday morning, spend the afternoon there and then take the night train to Kiev. We’d book a hostel for one or two nights there and then go where the wind took us: maybe Odessa, maybe Lvov, who knows. But the point was, we had an idea and a destination, and we could book the next day.

The walk back was long and cold, as the Internet café was a good half away from my flat. By the time I got back my fingers and toes were frozen yet again, and the prospect leaving the house for my exercise class was not at all inviting. Luckily, the time came around quickly so it wasn't too much of an effort after all. After dinner my mood was boosted by the fact I was able to have two successful Skype calls with Adam and Lou, my best friend from back home. We've known each other since year dot and we’re practically sisters, so finally being able to talk to her – and to see her as well – after so many weeks was amazing.

Already in a good frame of mind, I enjoyed the class that night even more than usual – it was a kind of aerobics/strength class that day. When I got home I even managed to speak to my parents on Skype (although the video had decided to stop working by then). They’re in Italy until Thursday so we’re communicating via my dad’s phone; I’m quite impressed that they've worked it out actually (even if they have somehow been ‘forced’ into making two accounts).

Wednesday was a good day too, despite the fact that it poured down with rain and was bitterly cold, leaving the snow to partially freeze, partially melt into huge puddles flooding the entire pavement. The others got their visas, we had a quick lunch and then went to the train station to get tickets – and didn't even have to stand in a huge queue.
That night the rain turned into snow and the ground was soon coated with another thick white layer. Walking to the Halloween party in my dress and wellies felt like an expedition rather than a night out, and when Sophie and I finally got there it felt like an achievement. Everyone was there that night; some hadn't dressed up, others had gone all out with costumes and face paints. It was half past three again before I decided to brave the blizzard and call it a night.

As I was turning into my road a little black dog dashed up to me, tail wagging. She clearly wanted some fuss and attention and, seeing that she was friendly and healthy, I stopped a minute to stroke her before carrying on my way. Before I knew it, she was trotting at my heels, hoping she’d found a friend and a home for the night. The thought of her sleeping out in the freezing snow was awful and I knew that if my situation were different I’d have tried to help, but I knew that, as it was, there was nothing I could do, and forced myself to wave her off into the park next door to the flat. Somehow, two minutes later she was there again, having somehow got through the gate to the apartment courtyard. She followed me to the door and I gave her another cuddle and squeezed through the door before my guilt could change my mind. Even the idea of leaving her in the hallway crossed my mind before I had to concede that if she made noise or trouble it could cause me huge problems. So, with a lump in my throat I closed the door and went into my flat without glancing back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment