Thursday 22 November 2012

22nd November: Things Just Keep Getting Worse


Finally, after all this time, Lyudmila and I have had a proper confrontation where I actually gave my side of the argument.

Today, as soon as I got to university I went into the office to tell them about what had happened and see what could be done about it. Julia is on holiday this week, but thankfully Larissa stepped in and contacted her. Within half an hour I was lined up with a new potential landlady; however, the problem with my current landlady hadn't yet been solved. I then needed to explain the situation again to Natasha, who works in the office alongside Julia and has helped me in the past when I needed to get back to England. She tried ringing straight away but after there was no answer to either the home number or Lyudmila’s mobile, she said she would try again later.

That day, attendance was at its worst, there being only nine students and two teachers, so we ended up finishing an hour early (just on the day I’d rather be anywhere but my flat). When I came out, Natasha told me she had spoken to Lyudmila and that I wasn't going to have to pay for the window, which somehow seemed too good to be true. It came out that Lyudmila had said the workman might repair it for free; however, if there was a charge and she wanted me to pay it, the university would move me.

I put off going back to the flat and walked to the theatre with Joe to check out tickets for Chekhov and Carmen next month. Then, feeling only a little comforted by the discussion the university had had with my landlady, I slowly made my way back. Lyudmila was, unfortunately, in the flat, and it was an effort to force a ‘hello’. The workman hadn't been yet, and after a few minutes, Lyudmila came into my room to start berating me yet again. She asked me what I’d been saying to the university and said I shouldn't have over-reacted, that I’d made her look bad. But what made me think that she was the bad one, hadn't that boy even said to me a few weeks ago that I was horrible? That seemed like a really low blow to me.

I did everything I could to explain how far I had gone out of my way to abide by her rules and respect her, at which she claimed I woke her up when I came in from nights out. I know she’s only been woken up twice during the whole time I've been here and explained how hard I try to keep quiet and don’t turn on any lights, even when she goes back to bed in the morning. Apparently, she can’t sleep at all until I get back in from a night out; this is just plain ridiculous. She added that I was ungrateful and didn't say thank you when she gave me meals – a complete lie, since every time she tells me dinner is ready I respond with ‘thank you’. Apparently, I should thank her after the meal too, as the first ‘thank you’ is for telling me that dinner is ready, and not dinner itself. This is a first to me, especially in a culture where ‘thank you’ is considered a superfluous word.

She went on to say that if I didn't like living here I could easily have moved out, to which I replied that I would have moved out a lot sooner if the apartment wasn't in such a good location. She then claimed that she had been nothing but kind to me, which seemed ridiculous considering the way she’d treated me over the last few weeks. I told her this and she said she had been nice to me up until the holidays. I just laughed at that and said that she was angry with me for following the university rules; but her response was that most people didn't deduct for when they were away, and that the girl from Oxford on the floor above hadn't  I don’t know about the girl from Oxford but I know full well that this was a rule set by the university in the contract, and that everyone else had done the same as I had.

Anyway, it came down to this: if the window is badly broken and I refuse to pay, she’ll phone the university and I’ll have to move out tomorrow. I don’t know what will happen if the window isn't broken, but at the moment I can’t imagine anything worse than staying here.

No comments:

Post a Comment