Monday 26 November 2012

26th November: A Fun Weekend, a Tough Decision


Another weekend has gone by and now there are only three left until I go home. It’s partly because of this that I've decided to stay where I am and not to move flats after all. Lyudmila’s attitude towards me has improved quite a bit over the weekend (owing largely, no doubt, to the fact she’s realised she might lose my tenancy) and I've thought about how convenient it is living here, right by the university, the town centre and my exercise classes. The only reason I would move now is to move in with Vanya because I know I’d have a good time, but quite a few people have told me it takes an hour to get into town from there in the rush hour, which would be a nightmare, especially when the proper winter sets in, which is bound to be soon, as it’s snowed all day today.

Anyway, before I explain my decision further, first I’ll explain my weekend. Friday was Sean’s birthday, so after my exercise class I planned to go and meet everyone for drinks. Vanya called and said he’d like to come after all (at first, he’d been put off by the fact that everyone was going to be English) and when we arrived, the bar was already full of our party. With everyone speaking English, it was difficult to integrate Vanya into the group, but with more and more people arriving we soon split up into smaller groups anyway. At around 2 we decided to move on to the club Король Королю, where we drank, ate and chatted until gone 5.

The next day I woke up much earlier than intended and felt the worse for it. I ate the breakfast that had been laid out for me before giving in and going back to bed for a couple of hours so that by lunchtime, I was able to do a bit of work. I met Julia for coffee at 4.30 as planned; she’s actually Vanya’s cousin, not his sister, but people often refer to cousins as siblings here, hence the confusion. Vanya joined us a little later before the three of us took the marshrutka back to the area where they both live.

This place felt like real Russia, not at all like the city centre where I live. It’s all very Soviet; the little marshrutka dropped us off at the side of the road, from where we descended the steps to a deserted underpass. On the other side of the road began row upon row of bleak grey apartment blocks, each one identical and lifeless. I was glad I was with friends; this place was completely alien to me.

Vanya seemed a little puzzled about what on earth to feed a vegetarian, but we managed to come back from the supermarket laden with salad, potato and mushroom pelmeni (dumplings) and drinks. The entrance to his apartment block was, naturally, almost the same as mine and even the inside was of an almost identical bland Soviet style (that is, concrete walls, stone steps, and metal doors) but the apartment itself was a lot more modern and homely. Admittedly, it was small for three people but it seemed cosy and I felt at home there straight away. He also has an adorable little kitten who, for some reason, took an instant shine to me, apparently having failed to notice that I’m actually more of a dog person.

I was given a tour of the house and shown where everything was, right down to the perfume cabinet, which he said I could help myself to at any time. He’d tidied his room and changed the bed, and showed me where my towel was as well as the hand towel and (bizarrely) feet towel. Then he and Julia made the dinner (I wasn't allowed to help) while I took control of the music channel and amazing stereo system.

It ended up being one of the best nights I’d had in ages. We watched the Russian version of Ted, chatted and laughed at Julia getting drunk for the first time. By around 2.30 Julia was ready to go home and, reluctantly, I went out into the cold to keep them company. We came out onto the street to find it was snowing, and I was suddenly overcome with amazement that I was in the middle of Russia, in the middle of the night, laughing in the snow with friends I’d made just a few weeks ago. Vanya picked me up on his shoulders and the three of us ran across the snow like kids. I couldn't remember the last time I’d felt this happy.

When we got back we ended up singing Russian songs, watching Misfits (in Russian but with English subtitles) and chatting until 5, so it was no surprise that the next day we didn't feel like doing a lot. After eating copious amounts of cereal (yes, I have found another cereal addict) we spent the day watching films and chatting. When Julia arrived at just after 4 we were only just eating our lunch. Then it was time to take the marshrutka back into town to choir practice, for which I only just managed to stay awake.

Back at the flat, Lyudmila had dinner waiting for me and seemed in a good mood. By then I’d made my decision; even though I’d had an amazing time that weekend, it just wouldn't be practical to move that far out when I've got so much on every day and so much tying me to the centre of town. As I was writing my list of mealtimes for the week, Lyudmila came out of her room and I explained my plans to her. She seemed surprised I was staying and began to say she’d started making plans (what plans could she possibly make? She never goes out the house). I said that if it was an inconvenience I could still move out and she quickly said that no, it was fine. We went round in circles for a while with each of us claiming we didn't mind either way, and at one point she even made the bizarre comment that she would “just feel bad for me having to move my big suitcase”. We both seemed happy with the arrangement and she started to claim I’d said I’d already decided (which I definitely hadn't  but luckily the phone rang before we could get into a disagreement. I think things will always be a bit tense between us (for instance, when I pay less for the weekend I’m away, as a matter of principle) but I’ll survive for the sake of convenience.

Today Vanya came and met Alexia and me after lunch, but I couldn't quite bring myself to tell him I wasn't moving in any more, especially as he’d shown me everything in the apartment and made me feel so welcome. Nonetheless, I think this is the right decision, and Lyudmila’s behaviour is even bordering on nice today; she said “good evening” before telling me my dinner was ready, gave me huge amounts of food and even asked how my day was. When Vanya phoned to make arrangements for this evening I was relieved that he asked me outright whether I was moving on Friday, forcing me to tell him, and it wasn't that bad at all. I said I’d go round often, but that it was just impractical to move out there. I just hope I’m making the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment